Saturday, March 3, 2012

what dreams may come?

Lent 1, Saturday

Readings: Genesis 41:1-13, Psalm 55, 1 Corinthians 4:1-7, Mark 2:23-3:6.

http://trcs.wikispaces.com/file/view/sweetdreams.jpg/49750253/sweetdreams.jpg

"Pharaoh awoke, and it was a dream. In the morning his spirit was troubled; so he sent and called for all the magicians of Egypt and all its wise men. Pharaoh told them his dreams, but there was no one who could interpret them to Pharaoh" (Genesis 41:7-8).

Dreams. They are such strange things. I usually don't remember mine, but almost all the ones I do remember are very weird, violent, bizarre, and/or scary. For example: I dreamt I was a secret agent, plotting revenge on my partner (who in real life was a fellow seminarian) because my partner had murdered my son. To make it even weirder, one of my seminarian church history professors then entered the dream, trying to convince me not to kill my partner by saying, "You really ought to forgive him, Lara." See what I mean? Weird.

Most of my dreams are in color, but I remember one that was completely black and white--because of the checkerboard tiled floor. Every once in a while my dreams are in German. Very few of my dreams are happy, and actually those end up being worse than the bad ones, because when I wake up I become disappointed that they weren't true. Most recently I had a dream about zombies (thanks a lot, Walking Dead).

Part of me wants someone to be able to interpret these dreams, but part of me is content not knowing. One dream I had in college disturbed me. I dreamt that I had given birth to a baby, except that the baby was really two babies connected by their legs (their legs ran into each other so that they were facing each other). One baby was black, and the other was white. The dream confused me, so I went to the head of my music therapy department because she was experienced in dream interpretation. After I described the dream, she had me draw the baby. She turned the paper on its side and it looked like a person with a shadow. We had been discussing Jungian philosophy recently, so I must have subconsciously internalized what we had been learning. Let me just say that it was really creepy.

Experiences like that make me not want to explore my dreams. But if I had recurring dreams like the Pharaoh, I probably would want to figure out what they were trying to tell me--curiosity would win out in the end.

What about you? Have any of you done any dream work? If so, what kinds of experiences have you had?

 http://images.mylot.com/userImages/images/postphotos/2524197.png

No comments:

Post a Comment